Sunday, February 20, 2011

Rep. Steve King on Obamacare and Debt Ceiling

Great news in this article!

But before that, note that Representative King explains why the provisions that were included in the Continuing Resolution do not completely block Obamacare in the manner that his offered provision, which I blogged about here, would have. 

Now, on to the good part.  I'll let Representative King say it in his own words: "Weneed to put my language onto every appropriations bill all the way through the 112th Congress . . . [t]he debt ceiling is another good place for leverage . . . [t]here’s been a suggestion just to – with limited constraints – bring a debt ceiling bill and put the complete repeal of ObamaCare right on it.”

Exactly!  Representative King is singing my song.  If I were from the 5th district in Iowa, I'd be pretty proud for my congressman about now.

Now that I've gotten over my elation, I'll go back to my usual pessimistic disposition.  If you read the linked article closely, and a few others Representative King has been in lately (I believe he had one in one of the Washington papers), its hard not to get the feeling that there are a lot of people in the leadership that don't really want to push this.  And that's the House leadership.  Oh well, its good to know there are at least a few Congressmen who are going to keep this fight alive and try and embarrass the leadership in really working to do what they've promised.

I was talking the other day to someone about Obamacare and criticizing the Republican leadership, and they said "But really, given who controls the senate and the White House, what could the really do?"  My reply was that if Republican leadership cared as much about repealing Obamacare as they cared about being elected and advancing their own political careers, it'd be off the books tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment